ACBC at a glance
ARENAC COUNTY — The following is a comprehensive summary of the Arenac County Board of Commissioners Meeting on March 3, 2009:
• Glen Rice, Arenac Township, commented on elected officials’ wages, salaries and “additional compensation” for other duties.
• District II Commissioner/Chairman Raymond Daniels noted verbal correspondence by the building department clerk regarding the recent newspaper articles and letters in the paper. The chair noted the clerk requested permission to a send a “letter to the editor” of the Arenac Independent.
• District V Commissioner Joseph Sancimino reported on computer replacements, requests for additional workstations by departments requesting upgrades of existing computer equipment.
• Soil Erosion Inspector contract – District I Commissioner Robert Luce moved, seconded by Sancimino, to approve the proposed Soil Erosion Control Inspector contract with Dale Zygiel at 70-percent. Motion carried.
• Salary resolution revision – After discussion, it was moved by Sancimino and seconded by District IV Commissioner Ronald Branda to amend the 2009 salary resolution to permit compensation for special services for the prosecutor and assistant prosecutor in the amount of $6,500 each for Title IV-E Grant; and county treasurer as PA 105 administrator at $1,000. Motion carried.
• Authorize county treasurer to be official PA 105 Agent – Sancimino moved, seconded by Branda, to make the county treasurer official county agent regarding foreclosed properties. Motion carried.
• Payment to county treasurer as authorized agent for PA 105 – Luce moved, seconded by District III Commissioner Michael Snyder, to increase the Arenac County treasurer’s salary by $1,000 from PA 105 Fund to pay for the treasurer to be agent. Motion carried.
• Request from treasurer for office furniture upgrade – Snyder moved to authorize county treasurer to spend $3,500 from Tax Forfeiture Account for new furniture. Motion was seconded by Sancimino and was carried.
• Letter of understanding with Steelworkers’ Union regarding short-term disability – Sancimino moved, seconded by Branda, to approve a letter of understanding between the union and county regarding coverage; and authorize chair to sign letter on behalf of the county. This will cover employees working 20 hours in the USW Courthouse Group to be covered by short-term disability. Motion carried.
• Tax Allocation Board appointment – Branda moved, seconded by Luce, to appoint Virginia Zygiel as member of the public to the county tax allocation board for 2009. Motion carried.