Fire causes minimal damage to local business
News Editor | firstname.lastname@example.org
AuGRES — A small fire has left AuGres Meat and Produce with minimal damage.
The AuGres-Sims-Whitney Fire Department responded to a fire at AuGres Meat and Produce at approximately 12:45 p.m. on Friday, July 8.
Chief Kurt Humerickhouse said a meat-smoking chimney malfunctioned, causing a fire on the roof of the building.
“It was a small fire and damaged a 4-by-4 foot piece of OSB board and damaged part of the drywall and ceiling,” he said.
Humerickhouse said the department did not require backup for the fire.
According to Humerickhouse, AuGres Meat and Produce was open at the time of the fire and someone inside the building called 911.
He said two members of the AuGres-Sims-Whitney Fire Department were working at a business across the street from AuGres Meat and Produce when the fire occurred.
“They ran across the street and got control of the fire using fire extinguishers,” he said. “They had almost everything under control by the time we got there.”
Humerickhouse said he was glad that the fire occurred during the day.
“If it would have happened during the evening it could have been a lot worse,” he said.