Late-night fire in Standish controlled by fire authority, causes minimal damage

Posted

STANDISH — Thanks to the quick action of the Standish Area Fire Authority during the night of Jan. 10, a fire at a home on Court Street in Standish caused minimal damage.

Fire Chief Mitch Oliver said the fire had started on the back porch and spread to the inside of the home by the time responders arrived on the scene at around 11 p.m.

The resident of the house was unharmed, Oliver said, and thanks to the authority’s quick response and a large number of available volunteers, the back area of the house received only minimal damage.

“He called 911 right away and that saved his house,” Oliver said. “We were able to get there before it extended past the original location of the fire. So it was a very good job on his part.”

Oliver said the cause of the fire was apparently a microwavable heating pad that was placed on the back porch.

Comments

Please review our community guidelines before posting

Please keep comments on topic and appropriate for all ages. Remember that people of all ages read our website. Those that are not appropriate will be removed. Please read our full community guidelines before posting.

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

Copyright © 2019, Sunrise Publishing. Powered by: Creative Circle Advertising Solutions, Inc.